Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Cartoonist Benjamin Marra Has Just Published The Most Badass Comic Of All Time

Terror Assaulter: One Man War On Terror is a violent, sexual, and hilarious action-adventure.

In Benjamin Marra's Twitter bio he calls himself as a "Comic book writer, artist, publisher, sonuvabitch, the Future of Comics History." With the release of his first Fantagraphics book, One Man War On Terror, those descriptions are all proven accurate.

In Benjamin Marra's Twitter bio he calls himself as a "Comic book writer, artist, publisher, sonuvabitch, the Future of Comics History." With the release of his first Fantagraphics book, One Man War On Terror, those descriptions are all proven accurate.

The full-length graphic novel spins a tale of explosive violence and even more explosive sex . It stars an anonymous government agent who literally destroys everything in his path to save America.

It can be read as a trenchant spoof of the jingoistic Bush years or of Z-grade 80's action films... or it can be read as the worrisome notebook doodles of a demented teenager. Whatever it is, you probably haven't read anything like it before.

Benjamin Marra / Via Fantagraphics

I recently sat down with Marra at his Brooklyn studio and grilled him on his process, his passions, and plans for the future.

I recently sat down with Marra at his Brooklyn studio and grilled him on his process, his passions, and plans for the future.

Dan Meth / Via BuzzFeed

Let's talk about the hero. What was your inspiration for O.M.W.O.T.?

I saw this re-cut trailer for the movie "American Hunter" starring Robert Mitchum's son Christopher. When I saw it I thought, "I really want to make that trailer into a comic." But then it sort of became it's own thing.

Benjamin Marra

Sex and violence has always been a theme in your comics, but in O.M.W.O.T. you really cranked it up a few notches. What was your goal?

BM: I wanted the comic to have really graphic sex. I wanted it to really be an erotic action comic... but I don't think it's very sexy. Some people have told me that they think the sex is really hot, but I don't really see it that way. I just wanted to place the same amount of attention and purpose on the sex scenes as I did on the violence. One of the best things about Fantagraphics was that they said 'anything goes'.

O.M.W.O.T. is pansexual. He's a walking punching fist, a shooting gun, a fucking cock. He's just a machine who's always in control That's his superpower.

Benjamin Marra


View Entire List ›

No comments:

Post a Comment