Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

24 Graphic Novels That Will Change Your Life

When visually creative worlds and powerful narratives collide.

ElfQuest by Wendy and Richard Pini

ElfQuest by Wendy and Richard Pini

"It taught me a worldview that I didn't get from school or religion. It taught me to embrace life and all its rich experiences. It taught me to choose love and acceptance over hatred and bitterness (even when being bitter and hateful is totally justified). It showed a world where gender and orientation differences were simply accepted as normal and celebrated. It taught me to love and appreciate the natural world. All without being preachy or saccharine. It was a major factor in coming out and becoming the adult that I am today."

Submitted by David Miz, Facebook

Dark Horse

Blankets by Craig Thompson

Blankets by Craig Thompson

"I read this in the midst of a terrible breakup. I stayed up one night reading all 600 pages of it in one sitting, sobbing my eyes out as my own failed experience in love was seemingly poured out on the pages in front of me. Every stroke of his brush is thoughtful, deliberate, and full of emotion. It’s an exquisite example of the graphic novel art form and remains my personal favorite."

Shea Standefer, Facebook

Top Shelf Productions / Craig Thompson

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman

"It showed me how to grieve loss — even when that loss is the person you were before something irrevocably changed you. The death of a point-of-view. I have Tempus Frangit written into a tattoo of mine to honor my friend Ariel who passed away suddenly. Words and art are the most powerful combination. Sandman is an incredible masterpiece."

Submitted by meghanjlee

DC Comics / Vertigo


View Entire List ›

No comments:

Post a Comment